Semi-Automatic Vial Sealing for Small Batch Processing
Bench-Top Vial Sealing Machine
AST’s Vial Sealing System (VSS) is a benchtop, semi-automatic machine used for sealing or capping pharmaceutical vials and bottles with aluminum caps. The VSS provides complete and precise control of the container sealing or capping operations to ensure the highest quality vial seal. The system’s versatility allows for the processing of a wide range of vial or bottle sizes and finishes and is ideal for small batch processing of sterile pharmaceutical and biotechnology products.
The Vial Sealing System was designed with cGMP in mind. Its compact, aseptic design provides complete compatibility with cleanrooms, bio-safety cabinets, laminar airflow hoods, and aseptic isolator environments.
Consistent High-Quality Sealing
Proper application of the vial cap is critical to container closure integrity, sterility and stability of the drug product within the vial. The Vial Sealing System monitors critical parameters such as applied force prior to forming the seal on the aluminum skirt to ensure proper stopper compression during the sealing process. The system utilizes a free-spinning disk design that has been optimized to minimize the generation of particles during the sealing process and to form a pharmaceutically aesthetic seal.
The vials or bottles are manually placed on the machine by the operator. Once placed, the sealing process is initiated, and the sealing head moves down to compress the vial stopper until the closed-loop compression force feedback confirms the operator programmed compression setting is achieved. With the stopper compressed the vial is rotated and the free-spinning disk gently forms the aluminum skirt of the cap around the neck of the vial. This sealing process maintains the compression of the rubber stopper, generates fewer particles and provides a pharmaceutically aesthetic seal without the witness marks common to jaw style crimpers.
- ASTView high-resolution interface provides intelligent and intuitive control of the system for creating unique recipes and real-time process monitoring
- Dispense system provides accurate and repeatable container filling with automatic volumetric monitoring and adjustment
- Uniform vial sealing using a sealing disk provides a repeatable quality overseal that eliminates the common challenges of jaw style crimping
- Electronic Batch Report (EBR) System records critical process information that can be used to create a 21 CFR Part 11 compliant batch report to simplify the technology transfer or regulatory filing processes
- Compact design makes the system ideally suited for aseptic isolators, biological safety cabinets or laminar airflow hood
AST’s Vial Sealing System (VSS) is a benchtop, semi-automatic machine used for sealing or capping of pharmaceutical vials and bottles with aluminum caps. The system is designed to meet the demanding requirements for small batch processing of sterile pharmaceutical and biotechnology applications. The Vial Sealing Systems’ versatility provides the ability to process a wide range of vial and cap types and sizes.
- R&D, preclinical and process development
- Clinical trial materials manufacturing
- Gene & cell therapies
- Small batch commercial drug products
- Stability studies
- Compounding pharmacies
- Low particle generation
- Processes wide range of vial sizes and diameters
- Intuitive interface for easy system operation
- Consistent high-quality vial seals
- Ability to process wide range of vial sizes and finishes
- Tool-less format change parts
- Optional Electronic Batch Reporting (EBR) system
- Compact system footprint allows placement within an isolator, bio-safety cabinet or laminar airflow hood
|System Dimensions (LxWxH)||780mm x 500mm x 640mm [31" x 20" x 25"]|
|Containers||Vials, Bottles & Cartridges|
|Finish Size||8mm, 13mm, 20mm, 32mm|
|Sizes (Dia./Height)||Ø12mm-47mm / 35mm-100mm|
|Other Container Options||Tooling for non-standard/custom container formats|
|Vial Closing Methods||Serum or Lyo stopper options|
|Vial Sealing Methods||Crimp or Press-fit capping options|
|Aluminum Seal / Cap Type||DIN standard with or without flip-top|
|Sealing Method||Disc Style|
|Clean Air Utilities||Clean dry air 6 bar, 56L/min free air|
|Materials of Construction||Pharmaceutical grade stainless steel, plastics, and elastomers|
|Human-Machine Interface (HMI)||ASTView on a 10" color touchscreen|
|Available Options||Isolator compatibility upgrade|
Electronic Batch Report (EBR) system