Automated Systems of Tacoma (AST), a privately-held, profitable, machinery design & manufacturing company with over 45 years of proven success in continuous innovation and new product development is looking for a Principal Mechanical Engineer to join our growing team.
The Principal Mechanical Engineer will support multiple segments of AST’s business in the areas of design and testing of custom industrial and web processing machinery.
- Define complete mechanical systems, drawing packages, and bill of materials.
- Develop system designs using 3D software per project requirements.
- Perform engineering calculations and evaluations.
- Organize and perform machine testing and development.
- Participate in systems installation activities at customer facilities.
- Provide customer-facing technical expertise in response to critical client escalations.
- Provide advancement of technical expertise within department though mentorship of other Engineers and drive continuous improvement of department technical skills and quality.
- Develop departmental multi-platform expertise in line with international industry preferences.
- Provide departmental direction in resource management, planning, budgeting, quoting and scheduling.
- Partner with CTO and Segment Manager to drive mechanical engineering strategy, skills development, recruiting and team building.
- National and international travel with advanced and short notice.
- Pursuit of Perfection
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering required; current Washington State PE a plus.
- 10+ yrs experience in industrial machine design and testing.
- Proficient using Inventor and AutoCAD or equivalent software.
- Experience using solid modeling, Finite Element Analysis (FEA), and motion analysis.
- Provide technical expertise to department and mentor other engineers while meeting technical, schedule and budget targets.
- Familiarity in working with an ISO quality plan and driving continuous improvement activities.
- Demonstrated history of strong people and project management leadership in a dynamic work environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proficient using MS Office and Project.
- Must be able to travel internationally.
AST is proud of the long tenure of our employees. Providing challenging and rewarding work, with opportunities for personal/professional development in a family atmosphere is our key to this longevity. AST is an equal opportunity employer.
This is a full-time position based in Tacoma. Compensation is competitive, including salary, bonus potential, health plan, and vacation time.
For an opportunity to join our growing team, apply here or send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your interest in joining AST. Please take a brief minute to tell us about yourself and how you fit in our organization.